Gilmer High School Sports Hall of Fame recognizes:
- excellence in athletics as demonstrated by former Gilmer High School athletes,
- or outstanding contributions made to the Gilmer High School athletic program by coaches, administrators, support personnel, or booster club members.
The GHS Athletic Hall of Fame consists of two categories for induction:
- Support/Special Service
Athletes are defined as anyone having participates in at least one sport for a minimum of two years. For this category, the following are considered as a sport as recognized by the Georgia High School Association: football, basketball, baseball, track, tennis, golf, wrestling, cross country, cheerleading, soccer, volleyball and softball. This list may be amended as Gilmer High School adopts additional sports.
The Support/Special Service category is defined as any coach, school administrator, support personnel, or booster club member who has made a significant contribution to the GHS athletic program. Examples are: won-loss record, volunteerism, leadership, accomplishments through one’s individual effort or leadership of an organization, civic group, or business. Consideration will not be based upon a significant monetary contribution.
To be considered for induction…
- Athletes must have graduated from GHS or received their GED and have been out of school for at least 20 years.
- Support/Special Service category nominees will be considered at least 10 years after the date of their recognized contribution to the program.
- Specific criteria used for selection into the Athletic Hall of Fame includes:
- Excellence in performance (State Champion, All State, All State Honorable Mention, and College Athletic Scholarship).
- Display of character and leadership in sports, and community activities.
- Honors received, records established, and milestone achievements in a particular sport.
- Significant contributions made to the school and community.
In addition to the athletic achievement, the committee will take into consideration contributions made to the school and community throughout their lifetime.